Construction traditionally has been a male-dominated field, but that may be changing.
When you picture a construction crew, how many women do you envision on the team? One or two? None? It’s common to think of construction as a male-dominated field, but more women each year are joining the ranks of construction companies. March is Women’s History Month, and at Tucker Paving we value diversity and the contributions that women have made and continue to make throughout our society. We’ve gathered a few interesting facts about women’s role in the construction industry today.
Women in Construction
While it is true that the world of construction is still predominantly male, women are rising in the ranks and in numbers, and by 2022 women are expected to comprise 46.8% of the industry. Here are some more numbers.
- 76% of women working in construction perform office work.
- 13% of all construction firms are owned by women. 4% of new construction firms were launched by women in 2019.
- 7.5% of all construction managers were women in 2018.
- 44% of the top 100 contracting companies have women working in executive roles.
- 16% of those companies have women in C-level positions, and 3 of them are CEOs.
- When it comes to leadership, women have the experience that counts. Female leaders in construction companies have been in the industry for an average of 15 years.
- Nearly 1 in 3 companies promoted women to senior roles in 2018.
Unfortunately, it isn’t all good news for women in construction.
- 73% of women in construction have felt passed over for roles because of their gender.
- 8 in 10 women feel left out at company social events.
Room for Improvement
So while women in construction are on the rise and doing better than ever, there are still plenty of issues to be addressed. At Tucker Paving, we believe in hiring the best person for the job, regardless of gender. We salute all the hard-working women in construction who are breaking glass ceilings and smashing society’s notions about what is and isn’t “women’s work.”
The next time you need a qualified paving crew, please consider Tucker Paving.