Asphalt is a common material used for driveways, but it’s not the only option. Other options include concrete and pavers, just to name a few, and each material has its own advantages and disadvantages. Tucker Paving has been in the concrete and asphalt paving construction industry for nearly 30 years, so we know pavement! See the pros and cons when it comes to asphalt paving for your driveway.
The Pros and Cons of Asphalt Driveways
- Affordability. Asphalt driveways are typically more affordable than other materials for driveways. Asphalt driveways, on average, cost $7 to $13 a square foot. The cost of your asphalt driveway will depend on its size, the difficulty of installation, if excavation or grading are necessary, if the ground needs surface preparation, how thick the asphalt needs to be, and more.
- Maintenance is reasonable. The maintenance and repairs that an asphalt driveway requires are few, but they are important for the longevity of the driveway. Sealcoating should be done every few years, and any damage, like cracks, should be fixed as soon as possible.
- Long-lasting. An asphalt driveway can last upwards of 30 years if it is maintained and repaired in a timely manner.
- Short downtime. An asphalt driveway is ready for walking on immediately, and for driving in three days. Maintenance such as sealcoating also has little downtime.
- Other options can last longer. If installed and properly maintained, other paving materials like concrete and pavers can last longer than asphalt. However, there is no guarantee that other paving materials won’t have problems that affect their longevity.
- Asphalt gets hot. The surface of asphalt in a hot summer sun can be scorching due to its dark color. This can be a problem for pets, kids, and anyone with inadequate footwear.
- There are few options for customization. Pavers and concrete have a host of ways the materials can be installed, dyed, or stamped to create a one-of-a-kind effect. The options for this are limited when it comes to asphalt.
Tucker Paving has nearly three decades’ worth of experience in the concrete and asphalt paving construction industry. We provide earthworks, site clearing, site grading, stabilized subgrade, base work, asphalt paving, underground utilities, and concrete curbs, sidewalks, slabs, and tie-beams. Call us at (863) 299-2262, or contact us online, for your next project!