TUCKER PAVING, INC., Tucker Paving, Inc., was founded on Nov. 21, 1994. It was a Monday. Thanksgiving Day was just three days off.
We thought it would be interesting, fun even, to find out how much information the Internet has about that particular day — not about 1994 in general or even about November 1994 in general but about Nov. 21, 1994, in particular. Most of this would be the news of the day — the events, incidents, people, and things that would shape the newspaper coverage the following Tuesday morning.
We discovered that the Internet actually has quite a bit of detail about Nov. 21, 1994, and it wasn’t difficult to find. What follows are some of the highlights.
• U.S. military forces were taking care of business in a war from the air against Serbian forces and targets in Croatia in Eastern Europe.
• Nintendo released the Donkey Kong Country video game for the Super NES system in the United States and Canada.
• Radio listeners were enjoying hits by Boyz II Men (“I’ll Make Love to You”), Bon Jovi (“Always”), Madonna (“Secret”), Sheryl Crow (“All I Wanna Do”), and Janet Jackson (“You Want This”), among others.
• It was, officially, World Hello Day and World Television Day.
• On television that night, people were watching “Coach” and “NFL Monday Night Football” on ABC; “The Nanny,” “Dave’s World,” and “Murphy Brown” on CBS; “Melrose Place” and “Party of Five” on Fox; and “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” “Blossom,” and the movie “Because Mommy Works” on NBC.
• Florida Gov. Lawton Chiles, a Democrat, was preparing for his second term in office, having survived a strong challenge from Republican businessman Jeb Bush in the Florida general election on Nov. 8, 1994.
• Some folks were driving newly introduced vehicles, including the Chrysler Cirrus, the Dodge Avenger and Stratus, the Ford Contour and Windstar, the Oldsmobile Aurora, the Pontiac Sunfire, the Subaru Outback, and the Toyota Avalon and RAV4.
• Movie-goers were watching “Star Trek: Generations,” a film directed by David Carson and starring Patrick Stewart. The film had its theater premier on Nov. 18.
• Rock musician David Crosby, age 53 at the time and of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young fame (later, Crosby, Stills and Nash), was recovering from a seven-hour liver transplant operation the day before.
• American celebrities, then or now, who were alive to celebrate a birthday on this date include Harold Ramis, actor, director, producer, and screenwriter (d. 2014); Golde Hawn, actress, singer, and producer; Dick Durbin, lawyer and politician; Dr. John, singer-songwriter; Earl Monroe, basketball player and sportscaster; Cedric Maxwell, basketball player, coach, and sportscaster; Ken Griffey, Jr., baseball player and actor; Troy Aikman, football player and sportscaster; Antonio Tarver, boxer; and Steven Curtis Chapman, singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer, and actor.
• Rapper Peyton Sanders (PSanders) was born on this day in Marietta, Ga.
• It was the 325th day of the year 1994, with 40 days remaining. It wasn’t a Leap Year. The next time we can reuse an old 1994 calendar, with complete accuracy, will be in 2022.
Where were you on Nov. 21, 1994, and what were you doing?
Sources: MyBirthday.Ninja; Wikipedia; TakeMeBackTo; TVTango.com; LATimes.com; and Newspapers.com.