The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) was signed into law in 1990, and its requirements took effect in 1992. In short, the ADA requires that buildings such as public accommodations, commercial facilities, and local and state government facilities be built so that all individuals—regardless of their ability—are able to use a building with minimal impediment. Make sure you are constructing or remodeling your buildings and spaces to comply with ADA requirements or expect heavy consequences.
Complying With ADA Requirements
The purpose of the ADA is to give everyone equal access. Ensuring that your building or space provides equal access to those with handicaps is the right thing to do. It can also be costly to do otherwise. Fines can be between $55,000 to $75,000 for the first offense, and double that for additional offenses. Additionally, not complying with the ADA can leave you open to lawsuits.
There are many ADA requirements for commercial buildings, but some of the most common include:
- Hardware on doors that everyone can access.
- Public and company bathrooms that can be accessed by anyone.
- Parking that is accessible to those with disabilities and have it labeled and enforced as such.
- Wide door frames to allow wheelchairs to fit through.
- Drinking fountains that are accessible to all.
- Flooring that does not restrict or impede mobility.
- Grab bars and railings in locations where they could be needed.
- Handicap ramps and/or installing curb cuts; a building is required to have 60 percent of entrances and exits be accessible to those with disabilities.
- Furniture and other furnishings, or any feature, that do not create barriers to receiving service.
Find the complete list of requirements in the ADA Checklist.
Tucker Paving has over 25 years of experience in the asphalt and concrete paving industry. We are very familiar with ADA requirements for residential, commercial, and municipal construction regarding sidewalks, curbs, and more. Contact us today by calling?(863) 299-2262, or fill out our contact form online, to let our experts handle your next paving project!