Make sure you and your home are prepared in case a hurricane passes over your neck of the woods
Hurricane season is swiftly approaching, and it’s time to be proactive and start preparing now. The Atlantic hurricane season officially starts June 1, giving you a few months to get ready. While you’re stocking up on water and checking your battery supply, make sure you are preparing your home as well. Since “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” now is the time to prepare your home for a major storm to prevent significant damage as much as possible.
Preparing Your Home for a Hurricane
Prepping your home for a hurricane can be divided into categories, and there will be both short-term and long-term improvements you can make.
Your roof is one of the most likely areas to sustain damage in a hurricane.
- Check the state of your roof and make repairs and add sealant where needed.
- Install metal roof straps if your roof currently doesn’t have any.
- Inspect roof trusses and fix or replace those without enough bracing.
- Have your roof re-shingled with impact-resistant shingles.
Windows and Doors
Faulty windows or doors can let wind and rain into your home.
- Check the seams and seals of all doors and windows and make necessary repairs or replacements.
- Add deadbolts to doors to increase their strength.
- Make sure window locks work so you can lock your windows ahead of an approaching storm.
- Have impact-resistant windows and doors installed.
Outdoor and Lawn Areas
Pay attention to the areas around your home too, as everything that is not secure poses a danger to your home as a projectile.
- Check that all outdoor features—porches, decks, sheds, carports, fencing, etc.—are in good repair and are anchored.
- Move all patio furniture, lawn ornaments, birdbaths, etc. indoors.
- Trim trees within 10 feet of your home.
- Clean your gutters to prevent overflow damage to siding, roof, and foundation.
- Inspect your foundation for damage, cracks, or distress to ensure water doesn’t find a way in.
Tucker Paving has been in the Central Florida area for over 25 years, and we know the damage a powerful storm can do. We specialize in the asphalt and concrete paving industry, working on residential, commercial, and municipal projects. Contact us online, or give us a call at?(863) 299-2262, for your asphalt or concrete paving project!