There are a multitude of things that can go wrong on a construction site as there are so many inherent dangers in the construction industry. The construction industry is one of the most dangerous industries, with falls, trips and slips, and crushing accidents causing numerous injuries and deaths every year. This makes it important for employees to have first aid training while on a construction site for many reasons. At Tucker Paving, our employees are required to go through a number of safety trainings and competencies, including First Aid and CPR training.
The Benefits of First Aid Training
First aid training is important for many reasons. Construction sites include heavy machinery, power tools, the danger of falling from heights, the risk of electrical shock, heat-related dangers, the danger of falling objects, trenching dangers, enclosed space dangers, and many more. Having employees trained in first aid, including CPR, means that certified individuals can:
- Treat minor cuts, abrasions, and burns.
- Stabilize individuals, including those with broken bones or those in shock, until emergency personnel arrive.
- Recognize the symptoms of common work-related medical emergencies like heat stroke, carbon monoxide poisoning, concussions, and more.
- Administer CPR, including using an Automated External Defibrillator (AED), in the event of a heart attack, electrical shock, or other heart emergency.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of other health emergencies, like heart attack, stroke, low blood sugar, and more, and take appropriate action until emergency personnel arrive.
- Perform the Heimlich maneuver in the event someone is choking.
There are many certifications that involve attempting to avoid injuries due to the many safety hazards on a construction site, and it is true that every injury is avoidable. However, until every safety hazard is completely foreseen and eliminated, having employees trained in First Aid and CPR is necessary to help treat those illnesses and injuries that do occur.
We’ve been in the asphalt and concrete paving industry for over 25 years, and safety is our #1 priority! Contact us online, or call us at?(863) 299-2262, for any assistance with your next asphalt, concrete paving, or site construction project!