Working in the Florida heat is serious business – here are some tips for staying safe.
Well, it’s pretty much summer here in Florida, and we at Tucker Paving are very familiar with what it’s like to work long hours in the sweltering heat and humidity. You need to take some precautions if you’re going to be out working in this weather, so we’ve put together a few pointers to help you make it through the next several months.
Florida Heat Is No Joke
Laying asphalt is hot work in itself, and when you’re doing it in the hottest months of the year in the South, it can be downright dangerous. Follow these tips to reduce your risk of heat-induced injury.
- Start early. Get as early a start as possible to take advantage of cooler morning temps. Once it hits noon you’re going to hate the sun.
- Wear protective clothing. Long sleeves might seem uncomfortable, but cotton is breathable and the fabric will help keep the sun off your skin while allowing airflow to cool you.
- Hats are cool. Protect your face and neck from excessive sun exposure with a wide-brimmed hat.
- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. We cannot emphasize this enough! You are going to be sweating and you need to be hydrating yourself constantly. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty – keep a water bottle handy and drink from it at least every 20 minutes. Gatorade is good, too, to help replace the electrolytes lost through sweating.
- Take your vitamins. Sweating leaches vitamins and minerals from your system, so make sure you are replenishing them by taking a daily multivitamin. Having a banana for a snack will help replace the potassium your body loses from heat exposure.
Tucker Paving Is On the Job
Even though it’s uncomfortable out there, Tucker Paving is still on the job, getting things done. We encourage our workers to take breaks when they need to and protect themselves from heat exhaustion so that we can get the work completed on schedule without any trips to the ER. When you have paving work that needs to be done, trust the pros at Tucker Paving.